Who rules the social web?
I found this really cool infogrphic. Gender balance in social networks? Chicks Rule! Women seem to be in general more sociable. This would make the social networking sites more appealing to them as places where to connect and share experiences.
I believe that the number of users may equalize in future. However, if we would look at the activity on the social site my guess would be that women rule even more.
Marketers must understand that women are directly or indirectly behind most household spending decision. Also, women lead 4 out of 5 stages of the buying process. Three of these stages are closely tied to social media sites: research, ownership and word-of-mouth.
To summarize: in social networking sites it is a good idea to target women and try to influence the non-purchasing stages of buying process. Women don’t buy brands. They join them (Understanding Women — Eight Essential Truths That Work in Your Business and Your Life). From the marketers point of view this is very important. So, adapt and get some women in your marketing team.
Here are some more facts about women spending (via she-conomy.com):
- Senior women age 50 and older control net worth of $19 trillion and own more than three-fourths of the nation’s financial wealth. – MassMutual Financial Group–2007
- Over the next decade, women will control two thirds of consumer wealth in the United States and be the beneficiaries of the largest transference of wealth in our country’s history. Estimates range from $12 to $40 trillion. Many Boomer women will experience a double inheritance windfall, from both parents and husband. The Boomer woman is a consumer that luxury brands want to resonate with. – Claire Behar, Senior Partner and Director, New Business Development, Fleishman-Hillard New York
- Women account for 85% of all consumer purchases including everything from autos to health care.
- 92% pass along information about deals or finds to others.
- 76% want to be part of a special or select panel.
And still women feel misunderstood:
Social Media Marketing 2017, PPC on 10+ Platforms.Learn how to market via Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Google and more advertising platforms! This must have course has a 4.7 rating out of 1,226 ratings with more than 12 thousand students enrolled.
- 59% of women feel misunderstood by food marketers;
- 66% feel misunderstood by health care marketers;
- 74% feel misunderstood by automotive marketers;
- 84% feel misunderstood by investment marketers
- 91% of women in one survey said that advertisers don’t understand them.