Top 10 Social Networking Sites by Market Share of Visits [June 2011]
The BIG news in June 2011 was the launch of Google+ social networking site. However this happened on June 28, 2011 and it will take some time before Google+ makes it to the top 10 list of social networking sites. Google+ went from 0 to 10 million in 16 days and to 20 million in 3 weeks. I doubt that Google+ will make it to the July 2011 top 10 but August is quite possible.
- LinkedIn jumped from 0.39 percent in May to 0.52% in June. LinkedIn has more than doubled it’s market share since it first entered the top 10 10 months ago with 0.24%.
- Twitter grew a lot in June to 1.28% from previous 1.15.
Depending on the effect that Google+ has on Twitter we might see LinkedIn going to pass it in market share of visits. LinkedIn is much less threatened by Google due to its clear differentiation as a business social network. LinkedIn stock has also gained new highs since it bottomed out in mid June and is now trading at $100 level.
Otherwise June 2011 was pretty uneventful and the top social networking sites didn’t change much.
- Facebook is firmly fixed on the top spot with 63.89% of US visits.
- YouTube is stable with 20.20 percent of visits.
- MySpace is continuing its decline to oblivion now with less than 0.9% of visits. It was recently sold for 35 million dollars and this makes me wonder if the new owners can turn this thing around.
About this chart
The chart below is in logarithmic scale so that the smaller sites wouldn’t just a single line around 1% of social network market share. Every month in the chart lists the top 10 sites of that time by the market share of visits. Please note that it is just a percentage and 30% in January 2009 is a lot less than 30% in September 2010. The gaps in the the lines mean that the site wasn’t in the top 10 at that time.
I used an interactive chart making software Tableau Public for this visualization. If you don’t see anything below please try reload. If all else fails then look at the image or download the chart in PDF format: Top 10 Social Networking Sites by Market Share of Visits June 2011.