How to Prepare for Facebook Timeline for Brand Pages
UPDATE: Facebook Timeline for Brand Pages is now live! Read: A View of Facebook Timeline Brand Pages and How to Enable it Right Now
In mid September, when first people got access to Facebook Timeline profile pages, we posted a theory that soon there will be Facebook timeline for brand pages. It turns out that we we’re right as it was reported last week that Facebook will be launching timeline for brand pages in the end of February. Right now it seems that the date has been set for 29th of February. Cool, right? But wait, there’s even a live countdown for timeline for brand pages release date. Just a bit less than 8 days to go. It’s just a bit after Twitter released even more of the new Twitter brand pages. Coincidence much?
While a lot of things are uncertain as to how timeline for Facebook brand pages will change Facebook marketing, some are almost dead certain. Such as the background image and what you should post on there. The same might be said for Facebook milestone events. Furthermore, I think it’s pretty safe to bet that the overall design of the Facebook timeline brand pages will become more visual. So here’s a few ideas how to prepare for the upcoming release of Facebook timeline for fan pages.
Design an appealing Timeline cover image
Facebook timeline cover page size:
For more sizes, take a look at our Facebook Cheat Sheet.
- You cannot use a call-to-action such as “Like or share”. This is against Facebook’s new policy of cover photos (Source).
- Explain what you’re about in a short and understanding manner. We are “Cats and Dogs” and we will babysit your loved pets while you’re on holiday!
- Make your cover image and profile picture thumbnail interact with each other. Here are some really great Facebook Cover page examples which you might find inspiring.
- Background design. User your corporate visual identity and colors to distinguish yourself from your competitors. Use your own products or perhaps feature a group picture of your entire customer sales team. Be original!
In essence, Facebook Timeline is a lot more focused on visual depiction than the old fan pages that we are used to. Consider the following:
- Display events such as when your company was founded.
- Go back in time and gather information about when were important products/services launched. Add a neat looking visual and voila!
- Make sure you add images to these events and furthermore, make sure you select the right kind of images to tell the story of your brand. If you don’t have any good pictures to go with these events, now is the last time to start photoshopping.
It’s safe to assume that with the launch of Facebook Timeline for brand pages, Open Graph will gain even more ground. Maybe it’s the right time for your business to make an app that is deeply integrated with your products? For example, if you are an online store selling books, you might want to integrate Facebook connect and Open Graph and make it into a loyalty program. For example, if you buy via Facebook connect, you receive 10% off your purchase.
Not a lot is known right now but this is the time to start brainstorming. If you have any ideas about Timeline’s new features or perhaps ideas about how to prepare, please leave them in the comments!
Social Media Marketing 2017, PPC on 10+ Platforms.Learn how to market via Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Google and more advertising platforms! This must have course has a 4.7 rating out of 1,226 ratings with more than 12 thousand students enrolled.