The 5 Best Amazon Product Research Tools (Needs, Budget, & More)
Looking for the best Amazon product research tools?
It’s actually really easy to find one. There’s a ton of software that instantly shows you product demand, search volume, competition, and potential profit – sometimes for FREE.
These are my 5 favorite Amazon product research tools along with their strengths, weaknesses, and some tips for using each to find a winning product.
Amazon is just scratching the surface of its potential. It’s set to DOUBLE REVENUE by 2025 (S&P Market Intelligence Report). There’s room for ANYONE with a good product and work ethic to make 6, 7, or even 8 figures a YEAR. Ah, retail arbitrage. How sweet it is.
WARNING: Don’t listen to the “LOL, do it yourself. Your brain is a free tool” Amazon sellers. Every successful Amazon seller (7 and 8-figures) I know uses one of these tools. New sellers have two choices: Guess and pray or use cold hard data.
Ready? Let’s find you a winner.
The Best Amazon Product Research Tool of 2021…
1. Helium 10 – The Best Of the Best
Elevator PItch: Helium 10 is an unfair advantage, and easily the most powerful, accurate, and convenient Amazon seller software ever made. I’ve used it since 2017 and haven’t never even thought about switching. It gives you more product ideas and insight than any other tool. You can sift through product ideas, calculate profits, view sales estimates and trends, check customer reviews, and spy on competitors by reverse engineering their product listings. Every 7 and 8-figure seller I know uses it. If you’re serious about this, get it now and never worry about it again.
Helium 10 Pros
- Free and Starter plans to get your feet wet
- As close to foolproof as you can possibly get
- Avoid high-competition products by spying on competitors
- End-to-end software so you don’t need anything else
- Reduces risk with in-depth sales insight
Helium 10 Cons
- Not as beginner-friendly as competitors
- Free plan is a bit limited
All Amazon product research tools fall into 1 of 2 categories:
- Helium 10
- Tools that wish they were Helium 10
I once met a guy at an eCom conference who called it evil black magic. He’s not wrong. The Amazon product research phase doesn’t get any easier. It’s like a cheat code.
Instead of just helping you find a particular product, H10 is like a finder, validator, and projection machine in one. For one subscription, you get:
- In-depth competitor analysis to see if you can actually rank
- Keyword data to see what people are actually searching for
- Product tracker to see inventory estimates to make sure you can actually achieve enough sales to get reviews and avoid stockouts (Amazon will kill you)
- Review aggregation to make sure public sentiment matches your gut feeling plus the data
I hope you can see the power in that. Most research tools help you come up with product ideas.
Helium 10 helps you find a good product, make sure people will actually buy it, show you how to rank it, and evaluate the competition.
It’s actually more like an Amazon business research tool and brand builder now that I think about it.
Here’s why it’s the only tool I use…
As soon as you get the hang of it, it’s basically idiot proof (good for me!).
Helium 10 has tools for every step of the research process in one place for as low as $37/month.
It’s basically just checking off boxes at that point.
This is what my process looks:
- Product research and the keyword research tool
I type in the niche, price range I’m going after, revenue goals, and the number of reviews and it gives me immediate access to invaluable insight for 450 million products.
- Product Validation
I use Helium 10 to check monthly sales, revenue, international suppliers, inventory, historical sales data, and price across the board. Then I check the keyword search volumes. That way you know exactly what you’re getting into before sourcing a product.
- Profit calculations
I use the calculator to see how much profit I can make. It’s not always spot on but it’s a lot better than other tools or just winging it.
- Review check
Helium 10 aggregates customer reviews for me so I can see what people are saying. If people hate it, I know to stay away or what to do differently with my products.
- Competitor comparisons
I get to see exactly what I’m up against. If I find competitors with a lot of holes in their game, I know it’s time to attack.
See how it’s really just checking boxes?
Instead of doing all that hard work yourself, Helium 10 basically spits back the answer to you.
I’m not saying it does it automatically – you still need to understand what you’re looking at. But if you’re serious about building a thriving Amazon business, Helium 10 is exactly what you need.
BONUS – Helium 10 has all the tools in one place: Once you’ve got a certified winner, Helium 10 empowers you to rank on the Amazon and Google search engines, run paid ad campaigns, fight with Amazon to get refunds back, and a ton more. It’s the only tool you’ll ever need for the entire selling process.
Discount alert! They’ve been kind enough to give our readers either a 10% lifetime discount or 50% off your first month – click here to claim the deal!
2. Jungle Scout – The Most Beginner-Friendly Research Tool
Elevator Pitch: The most popular of all Amazon product research tools. Jungle Scout is usually the tool you start with before graduating to the big leagues. Jungle Scout is not as powerful or accurate as H10, but it’s a whole lot easier. On top of that, once you find a product, JS connects you with thoroughly screened and proven suppliers so you don’t risk getting stiffed.
Jungle Scout Pros
- 7-day free trial
- The most beginner-friendly tool
- Opportunity score quantifies winning products into easy-to-understand metric
- Point, click, evaluate – easy as that
- Supplier database (my favorite)
Jungle Scout Cons
- Nowhere near the power or insight of H10
- You’ll need to buy other software for your Amazon FBA business
- Price-quality ratio not quite right
Jungle Scout is the most popular, beginner-friendly, and dead-simple Amazon product software out there.
Most successful Amazon FBA entrepreneurs use Helium 10, but I bet they found their first product with Jungle Scout’s web app and browser extension combo.
The whole tool is set up to make your life easier:
- 7-Day Free Trial: Start poking your nose around without spending any money. Why not?
- Niche Hunter: Don’t even know where to start? Rather than hunting a particular product, now you can hunt a niche. Say you want to find products at a certain price and monthly demand, Niche Hunter shows you different product types (ex: home and garden), to point you in the right direction.
- Opportunity Score: Imagine if experts took all the key factors of a winning product (ex: good profit margin and low competition) and put them into one simple metric. Behold! Opportunity Score. It’s not super accurate, but it’s definitely another helpful data point.
- Supplier Database: Rather than risking your entire Amazon FBA business on a random supplier in a strange land, JS’s Supplier Database connects you with proven suppliers with a long history of working with Amazon FBA sellers.
Plus it has the world famous JS Chrome extension. Helium 10 is overall the better tool, but JS’s Chrome extension is definitely better. It’s cleaner, more accurate, and more helpful.
Say you want to evaluate a product after finding it…
Just open the product page, fire up the Google Chrome extension, and boom.
You’ve got everything from accurate profit and sales forecasts to competition and Amazon rank in one spot. Then head over to the Supplier Database and find someone to send you the product from god knows where.
I recommend it if you just want to find your first product without investing a lot of time or money, and don’t mind upgrading in a few months when it’s time to get serious.
Why it’s not my top choice
- Value doesn’t match Helium 10: H10’s Starter plan is only about $10 more per month than JS’s entry-level plan but it delivers way more end-to-end value. If JS had more competitive prices, I’d be more keen.
- You trade convenience for confidence: JS makes your life super easy, but it doesn’t give you better keyword research ability, market, or competitor data than H10. And I’m not a fan of the product tracker. Helium 10 empowers you to make can’t miss decisions. JS, not so much.
- Not end-to-end: JS can’t handle the entire selling process from source to shipping. You’ll need some more help.
Want to give it a try? Click here to check it out!
3. Viral Launch – The Best For International Markets (and Launches)
Elevator Pitch: Viral Launch is an advanced market intelligence system high-level sellers use to keep their pulse on the market, launch products, and run profitable ad campaigns. It has most of the same features of Helium 10 – they just aren’t as accurate or usable. However, it is available in 8 international markets! If this isn’t your first rodeo and you want the best service for photos, listings, and product launches after your next product, VL is definitely worth a look. Not recommended for beginners or intermediate sellers though.
Viral Launch Pros
- Available in non-US markets (limited tools)
- The best product launch service
- Expert market intelligence (Ex: estimated sales)
- Very smooth interface
- Great for running paid ads marketing campaigns
Viral Launch Cons
- No beginner or starter plan
- Product research tools aren’t as good as H10
- Not as user-friendly as JS
- Best features are not related to product research
Imagine a product with the most accurate, up-to-date Amazon data fed into its system regularly so you could view sales metrics (ex: estimated sales or monthly sales), trends, current prices, validated suppliers, and estimated profits in real time.
That’s Viral Launch in a nutshell.
It’s like having a mole inside of the Amazon marketplace that relays how the market is behaving as you do your research so you can spot trends or inefficiencies before others and pounce.
Theoretically, that’s all well and good. But from a research standpoint, I find that most Amazon sellers don’t have the chops to actually put all the data data to use.
Let me put it in plain English:
If you had the skills to evaluate this data and these sales estimates, you probably wouldn’t be reading this article.
Nothing personal. Even I look at the data and think “what!?!?!”.
Personally, I prefer the Helium 10 method:
Hey, you. This is good. Do this!!
There are a few things Viral Launch does well:
- Great for international Amazon sellers: If you plan to be an Amazon seller in the UK, Canada, Germany, Japan, France, Italy, Spain, or Mexico, VL’s product research tool is the only option for you.
- Product launches: VL not only helps you find and validate products, it’ll take photos of the damn things too and spread the word. There’s a science to product launches that VL has perfected (hence the name…). If that’s in your bag, check it out. VL could very well get you to the top of the Amazon results page and get you in front of hundreds of thousands of eyes for cheap.
- Market intelligence: Again, unrivaled intelligence in terms of sheer number of data points and accuracy. We’re talking pinpoint accurate sales estimates here.
Why I don’t recommend it for beginners:
- No entry-level plan: It’d be nice to use some of the features for cheap rather than getting the whole shabang for $69/mo. It’s worth it, but the other tools have better pricing.
- International tools are hit or miss: One of its biggest selling points – international markets – isn’t even that good. Only product research works in those markets. Market intelligence does as well. Everything else – zip, zilch, zero.
- It’s like Helium – just worse!: I hate to sound cheeky, but it has all the same tools as H10…they just aren’t as good. Why pay double for worse software?
TL;DR: Viral Launch is a great tool overall, but not the best for product research. If you want to find a product and pay to get someone to launch it for you, check it out.
4. AMZScout – The Best Cheap Amazon Product Research Tool
Elevator Pitch: AMZScout is a great way for new Amazon sellers to learn the ropes without investing hundreds of dollars while getting expert advice along the way. It’s the only product research tool on the list with free tools, a “cheap” plan, and quality beginner training. If you’re sitting there thinking “how do I even start looking for a product and become an Amazon fba seller?”, AMZScout will show you exactly what to do and give you a cheap solution for finding a good product. That’s about it, though.
- Great beginner training videos for FREE
- FREE plan and affordable entry-level plan
- Lifetime plan for serious Amazon sellers
- Not as powerful or accurate as other tools
- Lacking key metrics offered by H10
- No supplier services
- Pro Extension is a second-rate copy of JS
AMZScout is like a good set of training wheels for a gigantic mountain bike: Safe, secure, and low-investment – but you’ll eventually have to take them off if you want to get to the top of the mountain.
Hey, I thought that was a cool metaphor.
What I’m trying to say is there’s a ton of bad info out there about finding winning products to sell, and most of it is from people trying to sell you something, deliberately misleading you, or who have no idea what they’re talking about.
AMZScout gives you a chance to learn great advice from expert sellers BEFORE investing hundreds of dollars in a tool, and then gives you a very affordable “Light” plan that’s only about $17/month (paid annually). As far as Amazon product research tools go, that’s a steal.
I know Amazon sellers bringing in $5,000 plus per month that got their start with AMZScout.
There’s zero shame in taking it slow, especially with something as complex and important as product research.
AMZScout is for you if…
- You’re unsure about all this product research stuff: Plain and simple. Watch the beginner videos, snoop around, get a cheap plan and find good products to sell on Amazon. You can always upgrade later. No rush.
- You like hands-on training: I love how dedicated AMZScout is to helping its customers. They have a class for pretty much everything. Wish I had that when I was getting started.
- You’re on a budget. Less than $200 a year for everything. That’s like 4 sales for an average product.
- You want to save money long-term: This is the only tool that has a Lifetime plan. Pay now and you’ll never pay for a research tool again.
Why it’s not my top choice…
- Doesn’t compare to the top 3: H10, JS, and VL are on another level. There’s a reason AMZ is so cheap. You won’t get nearly the same level of product insight, keyword research ability, or competitor data. H10’s info is so much more actionable and accurate. Still better than Seller Labs though!
- Not a fan of the extension: Basically a knock off of JS’s extension without the same level of data (plus it’s buggy sometimes).
- Lacks high-end features: No supplier, SEO strategies, inventory management, or refund services and lacking high-level competitor and keyword research tool. Anyone using H10 or JS will have a head start on you.
Verdict: A great place to start, learn the ropes for cheap, and move on. Start here if you want free training, but don’t expect to stick with it long term. It’s not a matter of if you’ll hit a ceiling, it’s when.
5. ZonGuru – My Guilty Pleasure Amazon Product Research Software
Elevator Pitch: An Amazon tool made by bootstrappers complete with cool tool names (Love-Hate and Keywords on Fire!), the smoothest interface, and every tool a seller could ever need. That, plus an official partnership with Alibaba gets it on my list. ZonGuru is fun, accurate, and designed for solopreneurs who love researching, tinkering, and automating everything that moves within an inch of its life.
- The best interface and color scheme in the game
- Simple, intuitive, and fun – I’ll geek out for 8 hours at a time without headaches
- Great automation tools
- Comprehensive data (ex: PPC bid cost)
- Smaller product database
- Less accurate data
- Niche Rater doesn’t compare to H10 or JS
I could ZonGuru surf until Jeff Bezos’ hair grows back and never get tired of it.
The interface is like butter, and it’s got every tool any solopreneur (a lone wolf Amazon seller) dreams of having. Like:
- Email automation
- Review aggregator
- Fraud alerts
- Business dash (for checking Sales Rank)
- Business metrics
- Keyword tracker
- Product tracker (in sheet form)
And that’s just scratching the surface.
But this is about product research tools, so let’s cut to the chase. Where most tools have 3 or 4 research tools, ZonGuru gives you 5:
- Niche Finder – Narrow down profitable product ideas according to your preferences.
- Niche Rater – A fast, 360-degree view of how viable a niche is based on 4 unique criteria. Including best seller rank, fulfillment data, and big brands ranking for your products.
- Love-Hate: No, not your last relationship. This tool quantifies public opinion including actionable keyword insight (who doesn’t love word clouds?).
- Sales Spy – Your typical competition spying tool. Extensive data to get you started like detailed sales estimates and estimated shipping costs.
- Easy Source – A direct pipeline to Alibaba’s verified suppliers. This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity.
Word clouds for the win!
And all this comes in at less than Helium 10 or even Jungle Scout.
In theory, ZonGuru finds you a profitable niche, ensures you get the most profitable one, shows you what people are thinking so you know how to market it, spies on your competitors, and finds you a supplier.
It’s not just an Amazon product research tool – it’s a business accelerator.
So why isn’t this my top choice?
A few reasons:
- The product database and data points are lacking: H10’s product database gives way more results and accurate data. Again, it all comes down to confidence. With Helium 10, I always feel like I have the most accurate picture of the market. Not so much with Zon.
- Not a fan of the Alibaba connection: Just because you can see the manufacturers doesn’t mean they’re good. You’re still relying on Alibaba’s “opinion”. For example, JS personally screens and rates suppliers for you, ensuring you only get legit partners.
- Sales Spy is lacking: You get a lot more actionable and up-to-date data from Viral Launch or Helium 10’s reverse asin tool than from ZonGuru. Zon gives you the bare bones and that’s about it.
Closing Thoughts – What is the Best Amazon Product Research Tool
It really comes down to one question:
Are you serious about starting an Amazon business and want the absolute best tool possible? Or are you on the fence and want to test things out before making a decision?
If you’re ready to start building a 6-figure store, Helium 10 is the only product you’ll ever need. You might as well get it now and move forward with the confidence of knowing you’ve got the best tool in the business.
It’s like $10 per month more for the industry standard. That’s a coffee and a cookie at Starbucks (how is that even possible?).
If you’re on the fence and need something simple, cheap, and easy, start with Jungle Scout.
If you’re still thinking “Amazon product research tools? What?”, then go with AMZScout and watch some training videos. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll have a ton more confidence and actually be excited about finding a product.
Just heed my word: This is the most important part of building a successful store. No tool is going to magically find you a winner without putting in the work. So don’t blame me if it doesn’t work out just because you got lazy.
Best of luck!
Amazon Product Research F.A.Q
Q: What is the best Amazon product research tool?
A: The best Amazon product research tool is easily Helium 10. It’s the most popular tool among elite Amazon sellers making seven figures and above. Every other tool is a product research tool only. Helium 10 is a winning product accelerator.
Q: How do you do product research on Amazon?
A: You do product research on Amazon by finding a product with a fair profit margin in a low to moderate-competition niche. From there, you check reviews to make sure enough customers actually like the products, then do keyword research to ensure there are actually enough searches to support a business. Once you confirm you have a viable product, you find a reliable supplier and you’re ready to go. It’s much better to pay for a tool for this rather than do it manually.
Q: Which Amazon tool is best?
A: Helium 10 is far and away the best Amazon tool, but JungleScout and Viral Launch aren’t far behind. If you’re looking for the best, get Helium 10. If you’re looking for something more affordable, try JS.
Q: Which tool is used for Amazon keyword research?
A: The most common tools for Amazon keyword research are Helium 10, JungleScout, ZonGuru, and Viral Launch.
Q: How do I get product ideas from Amazon?
A: You get product ideas from Amazon by first setting yourself some realistic criteria regarding price, weight, profit margin, and storage costs. If you’re new to the game, I recommend starting with something small, light, and durable. Next, I’d stick to a price range of $50 or less so you keep up-front investment low. Then, head to the Amazon Best Sellers page and delve into the sub-categories that fit your criteria. That, or you can create a free account with one of the tools I’ve listed here and use them to get product ideas.
Q: What products are in high demand on Amazon?
A: Products that are always in high demand on Amazon include home improvement, self-care, home and garden, sports and outdoor equipment, baby stuff, and electronics and accessories.
Q: What product has the highest profit margin?
A: The product with the highest profit margin is really hard to pinpoint, but it’s usually something like jewelry, kid’s toys, and beauty products.
Q: Can I get rich selling on Amazon?
A: Yes, you can get rich selling on Amazon. The platform is set to double in revenue by 2025. 6% of Amazon sellers are millionaires (JungleScout Amazon Sellers Report). That’s 6 out of every 100 people that start a business.